Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 7: The Secret of Learning To Read - Revealed!

As I said in the previous post, we attempted to teach Hunter how to read with reading programs and books like 'Dick and Jane'. Though he would participate with us because he liked doing things with us, he never really actually enjoyed either the reading programs or the books.  I found that I had a lot of conflict with his not wanting to read because I had this idea that he needed to read as soon as possible and at the same time, I experienced guilt for pushing him to do something that he was struggling with and didn't want to do.

Despite my guilt, my sense that it was best to allow him to develop his ability to read on his own terms, and his telling me that he 'wasn't good at reading', I reasoned that there were simply things that we had to do in life - that we had no choice about - and reading was one of them.  Additionally, I attempted to hold him to my idea that in order to be 'good at something', we must practice doing it.  So, I argued my case with him with these ideas and beliefs.  He understood what I was saying but it did not change him, his perspective, nor his approach to learning how to read.

Reading became a chore and a burden for him.  Each day that the books came out, he would go into resistance with yawning, he would say that he was tired, or he would distract himself from the books with playing with whatever he could fit in his hands, doodling, or initiating random conversations with me.  After several months, we made some progress to where he could sound out small words but he continued to struggle with certain sounds and letter combinations.

Around this time he was learning about Minecraft - a creating and building game that is played online with others via an XBOX LIVE account on the XBOX 360 gaming system. Here he began playing with kids of all ages from here in America to across the world - and in order to play and comprehend what was going on in the game, he had to read what was on the TV screen.  During this process, he may have asked me a couple of times how to read something though there's nothing I can recall specifically as he took the point on himself and was reading clearly for himself within a few weeks.  In two months, his previous reading programs were below his reading level and now, three months later, there have been few words that he hasn't been able to read or sound out on his own and he reads fluidly.

Hunter playing a game called Kinect Party on the Xbox 360 where kids play with virtual games, toys and costumes.
From this reading process, I realized that for Hunter to learn naturally and with ease is for him to see a purpose or need for what's being presented.  Which is quite a fascinating point because when I look back to when I was in school, I didn't see how most of what I was learning was useful.  Further, I did not retain the majority of the information that I was taught in school, aside from the things they had us repeat over-and-over-again.  I did not see how these things benefited me or applied to what I was involved in at the time.

Like many other children, I was miserable within the classical school education system which brings up a question for myself: Why do I continue to attempt to push upon another young individual subjects and systems of learning that, as myself as a child, I saw as the worst possible use of my time when I could have been doing and learning about things that I was actually interested in?

In the next blog, I will go into why I have been doing this and open up a potential solution that I have been working with.  In the meantime, if you have a moment, check out Radical Self-Unschooling - Day 340 to see how another has been questioning their beliefs about the education process and establishing a whole new level of self-trust.

Here are some other gaming resources that assist with reading, spelling, and typing:
Download version of Minecraft for PC and Mac.
There are also pocket versions of Minecraft available for Android, iOs, and the Kindle.

Multiple versions of Scribblenauts for the PC, iOS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, and WiiU.

Here is a video of a teacher using Minecraft in the classroom to demonstrate the differences between Solids, Liquids, and Gases.


No comments:

Post a Comment