Saturday, January 24, 2015

Day 5: My Decision To Homeschool

I will admit that my decision to homeschool was based on a foundation of negative past experiences with the education system, a fear that what I had been seeing in the education system would not provide Hunter with a proper education and make him into a mindless working drone that didn't ask questions, the inconvenience of school hours, me not liking the idea of turning him over to other adults whom I did not trust would make decisions that were best for him, and my desire to keep him with me.

I have realized that my starting point was from a fear of loss and self-interest.  Additionally, I had been able to reason my fear and self-interest with many arguments about how it was best for him.

See, realistically speaking, I have come to know many cool, interesting, and amazing people that have gone to public school.  So my arguments that support the idea that the public school system will traumatize or hold back Hunter in anyway have been debunked by seeing real people doing real awesome things in the world.

When I take away the fears, beliefs, expectations, judgments, imaginations and justifications about public school and homeschool, what's left is the self-honest point that I simply want to be with Hunter and take the opportunity to explore alternative education processes to see what potential unfolds.


No comments:

Post a Comment